Oct 24, 2010

Vintage Doughnut Fail

I recently ran across a 1954 recipe for cake doughnuts in a magazine.


"Oh, how fun it would be to make doughnuts from a vintage recipe!" I thought to myself.

My cousin stopped by one evening so we put on our vintage aprons and got busy!

We mixed, we melted, we laughed, we cried (ok not really, at least not yet) and we had such fun...then it chilled.

The rest was up to me the next day so I went to work rolling out, cutting, deep frying and then sugar coating what turned into nearly 6 dozen doughnuts.

Ok, so maybe I overdid it when I doubled the recipe but I had to share a batch with the neighbors, send some to work with my dad and deliver a platter to my aunt and cousins.

I was feeling so proud of myself and quite domestic...

that is until the next morning when I grabbed one to have with coffee.

Those doughnuts were so dry and thick I couldn't choke them down!

Guess I owe some people a better batch of goodies...what must they think!?

Lessons learned:

1. Don't double the batch unless you know you love the recipe.

2. Don't share your goodies with people you hope to stay on good terms with unless you are absolutely sure they are good.

No comments: