Mar 20, 2009

Favorite Find Friday

Some people are quick shoppers when it comes to bargain hunting. They browse quickly, grab the items they want and move on to the next location. I on the other hand am a little more methodical and take my time when examining pieces. I look beyond the surface and often have vision for things others don't.
On a recent thrift store trip with a friend, who seems to be a browser like me, we stumbled across a lovely piece of white english ironstone. It was tucked on the bottom shelf and I almost overlooked it but am so glad I didn't. Besides a tiny chip on the underside of the inside lip and a much needed cleaning it was in beautiful condition. It was marked Mason's Ironstone on the base and while I didn't recognize the name it did appear old. So for $13.99 I decided to take a chance.

I do love this piece but I knew it would be a perfect addition to my mom's pretty collection of vintage white ironstone/ceramic pieces. My mom was thrilled with this new piece and after a little research found out it was a late 1800's or early 1900's english ironstone tureen and definetly worth more then I had paid for it. So now I can only hope it becomes a hand me down when she finds a new trend!
So what kind of shopper are you? Do you hit a sale at a fast pace, grabbing every item that catches your eye and knowing immediatley that you are taking it home with you? Are you the type to touch and feel every item looking for the one that puts a smile on your face and a song in your heart? Or do you miss out on all the great finds because you just can't decide if a certain purchase is right for you?

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I am methodical. I collect vintage linens and I like to touch the fabric and closely examine handwork. There is nothing like quality vintage fabric. I collect glassware too and I have to like the piece instantly.